Before Arrival

Visa and Residence permit

Visa is required for citizens of a country outside of EU or Scandinavia. Visa application should be done in due time at the Embassy. There is no arrangement of visas by the Faculty of Law.

Citizens of an EU country need a residence permit if they are going to stay more than 3 month. Application for this can be done after arrival. Work permission is included in a valid residence permit  or valid visa.

Healthcare insurance

All students coming to Sweden must be covered by a valid medical insurance. EU citizens are covered automatically if they bring the EU Health Insurance Card, form E 128 or E 111 filled out by their local authorities.

Exchange students are also insured by ‘Student In’. This insurance policy covers medical issues, accidental injury and assault, disability and death, liability and legal expenses. For complete Insurance Terms and Conditions please visit: Kammarkollegiet.


Due to a large number of incoming students, the Faculty of Law can not guarantee accommodation to all international students. Priority will be given to students from partner universities which have a reciprocal exchange with the Faculty of Law.

Although Uppsala is counted as a small city in comparison with other European cities, it is very difficult to find housing. We therefore recommend incoming students to apply for housing through the Uppsala University Housing Office.

Most students in Uppsala live in a single student rooms in “corridors” with their own WC and shower. The kitchen is usually shared with other students (4-12) living on the same corridor. Rooms are furnished with a bed and mattress, a desk, chairs and a bookcase. Average cost of accommodation is approximately 3.800 SEK. per month. 

Disabled students

The faculty needs to know if you have any form of disability in order to make the necessary arrangements before your arrival. Please, check the box on the application form. For more information visit: the central web page for students with disabilities.